When it comes to getting a visa for Egypt, there are a few different options, considerations and complications. Obtaining an Egypt visa on arrival is most common, however, isn’t always possible depending on how you enter the country.

Do I need a visa for Egypt?

You should confirm whether or not you need a visa to enter Egypt. Note that for most people entering and staying on the east coast of Sinai (between Taba and Sharm El Sheikh), you will not need a visa at all. If you are planning on travelling beyond this area or if you’re flying into Egypt, most passport holders require a visa. We use VisaHQ to confirm if a visa is needed.

What are the options for getting an Egypt visa?

There are a few different ways you can obtain an Egypt visa depending on where and how you are entering the country:

  1. Egypt visa on arrival
  2. Egypt e-visa
  3. Pre-arranged visa from an Egyptian embassy
  4. Get the visa onboard the ferry from Jordan to Egypt
  5. Sinai only visa (cannot travel to Egypt mainland)
  6. Apply at the Egypt Consulate in Israel

Tip: If you are entering Egypt through the Taba border crossing from Israel, the process is a little more complicated and we recommend you get a pre-arranged visa or an e-visa. If you have already crossed into Taba and are reading this, please see below.

1. Egypt visa on arrival

The cheapest and most convenient option is to get an Egypt visa on arrival which can only be obtained at any of the international airports.

When you land at the airport, go to the visa on arrival window BEFORE queuing for immigration. Here, you will pay $25 USD (cash only) and will be given a visa on arrival sticker. Place the sticker on a blank page in your passport and then join the immigration queue. You’ll get your stamp and are now ready to explore Egypt!

Visas on arrival are valid for visits up to 30 days.

1.1 Who can obtain an Egypt visa on arrival?

Passport holders from the following countries can obtain an Egyptian visa on arrival: Australia, USA, UK, EU Nationals, Canada, Georgia, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, Macedonia, Malaysia, Republic of Korea, Russian Federation, Serbia, South Korea and Ukraine.

A complete guide to arranging an Egypt visa including the visa on arrival, e-visa and information for travellers entering Egypt from the Taba Eilat border.
Egypt visa on arrival sticker

2. Egypt e-Visa

The Egypt e-Visa is a pre-arranged visa that is issued prior to entering the country. The e-Visa allows a maximum stay of 30 days, is valid for 3 months and can be issued as either a single or multiple-entry visa (cost varies). You will need a single blank page in your passport and at least 6 months validity.

If you are NOT flying into Egypt, are unsure of how you plan on entering the country or need to leave and reenter within the 30 day period, we recommend that you obtain an e-Visa. Applications should be made at least a week in advance and via the e-Visa website. You must present a printed copy of your Egyptian e-Visa to immigration.

Passport holders from the following countries can apply for an e-visa: Albania, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Malta, Republic of Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Cyprus, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, UK, USA and Vatican City.

2.1 Cost of the e-visa:

The website states that the cost of a single entry visa is $25 USD and a multiple entry visa is $60 USD plus a service fee. You don’t find out the service fee until you’ve completed your application. In total, the costs are:$84 USD for a single entry visa and $119 USD for a multiple entry e-visa.

2.2 What’s the difference between the Egypt visa on arrival and e-Visa?

The main difference is the Egyptian visa on arrival is issued upon arrival – no prior application process and no paperwork needed. It’s as easy as handing over the cash and receiving the visa. However, if you’re not flying into Egypt, you can’t obtain it. E-Visa is the next best thing.

TIP: Don’t forget to print your e-Visa and bring it with you! There’s no working around this.

3. Arrange a visa at an Egyptian embassy

If you are already abroad and need to apply for an Egyptian visa, you can also do so at an embassy. However, we recommend the e-Visa instead as this is likely to be a faster and smoother process.

Service fees will vary depending on the embassy and you should allow yourself at least a week to arrange this. Please contact the nearest Egyptian embassy for more information.

4. If you’re taking the ferry from Aqaba

If you’re in Jordan and taking the ferry from Aqaba to Nuweiba, you will hand your passport into the counter in the middle of the ferry and can ask for the Egyptian visa there. Make sure you bring US dollars to pay for the visa ($25 USD). Upon arrival in, you will be handed your passport with the Egypt visa inside. Make sure you check that it’s inside before departing.

Read more:
Ferry from Aqaba to Nuweiba (Jordan to Egypt): Everything You Need To Know

5. Sinai only visa

This isn’t exactly a visa but a permission stamp allowing travellers to visit Taba, Nuweiba, St. Catherine, Dahab and Sharm El Sheikh. The 15-day stamp is renewable from the same entry port you obtained it and is free. This visa is only available for travellers entering from Taba, Nuweiba or Sharm El Sheikh and is often what people refer to as the Taba Border Crossing visa.

Note: You cannot travel to mainland Egypt or other parts of Sinai with this stamp. If you are considering travelling anywhere else in Egypt, we recommend any of the other visa options open to you.

6. Getting an Egypt visa in Israel

One of our readers got her visa from the Consulate of Egypt in Eilat for 150 NIS ($42 USD). If you take your passport into the consulate in the morning, you will normally get it back the next day although you could get lucky and get it the same day.

7. Entering at Taba border crossing

If you are planning on entering Egypt at the Eilat Taba border and travelling past Sharm El Sheikh, the easiest option is to arrange an e-Visa or apply at the Consulate in Israel or Jordan. Travellers staying in Sinai can obtain the permission stamp at the Taba border crossing.

We found outdated information that said you could definitely get an Egyptian visa on arrival in Taba. This is not guaranteed and shouldn’t be relied upon. The only definitive thing is you will get the Sinai Peninsula stamp permitting you to travel between Taba and Sharm El Sheikh for a maximum of 15 days. 

One of our readers crossed the Eilat Taba border in December and saw a vague sign about Cairo. After asking about it, he was able to pay a man a $20 USD for a letter of guarantee plus $25 USD for the Egypt visa on arrival sticker. This was certainly not our experience so proceed with caution.

7.1 Already entered Egypt from Taba without a visa

If you entered Egypt from Taba, you must get a letter from a tour company guaranteeing your stay in Egypt in order to obtain the $25 USD visa on arrival from Sharm El Sheikh Airport. There’s no other way around this.

7.2 Getting a letter of guarantee without booking a tour

To get the letter of guarantee without booking a tour, we found a tour agent in Sharm El Sheikh who helped us get this for $30 USD per person. His name is Alex and you can contact him on WhatsApp on +20 100 441 7553. We spoke to a few people who seemed a bit dodgy but found Alex to be very helpful and honest so we highly recommend him.

Total cost: $30 USD for the letter + $25 USD for the visa + return trip to the airport.

Found this post helpful? Help others by sharing it or pin it now!

This entry was posted in Egypt and tagged .

6 thoughts on “Complete Guide: Egypt Visa On Arrival, E-Visa, Taba Border Visa and Other Options

  1. Daniel says:

    My eVisa application was just denied for no reason after waiting 2 weeks. I would recommend your readers strongly not to use that buggy unreliable form of banditry. I also have a question because I already have flight/travel plans.

    I am traveling to Jordan so I guess I could try in Aqaba or come back to Israel through Eilat, or take the ferry what do you think would be the easiest most economical option

  2. Shahar and Joanne says:

    Hi Amanda thank you for the helpful post!

    We are planning to enter through the Taba border and will be staying for a week between Dahab and Sharm El Sheikh. You say that most people doing this don’t need a visa… do you know if this is true for Canadian passport holders? Which people doing this WOULD need a visa?

    Thanks again!

  3. cp says:

    new updated info. 22 dec 2018
    we arrived from eilat to taba and we were able to get a full on visa all the way to cairo. we saw a sign at the booth where they stamp your passport about cairo but it was kind of vague because of poor translation so we asked. they have a man/operator/dont know who comes by every half hour or so and for a fee of $20 he will write a guarantee for accommodations so you can get the visa. so for $20 ( his fee) plus$25 for the visa you can get it there. easy smeasy.
    oh yea, still needed us dollars for the visa. there is a money changer right there but we had some with us. he was able to go there and get USD change for my $100 bill.

Let us know what you think

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

error: Content is protected !!

Send this to a friend